Week Six: Working with Kids! Finally! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week Six: Working with Kids! Finally!

Hello everyone! I hope all of your projects are going well. I can’t believe we’re already in week six!

This week, Ray and I finally got to the “meat” of our projects–working with 826michigan students! We started working with the writers clubs this week. The first one was Tuesday Morning with the 6 to 9 year olds. Their club is called “All The Feels”, so we are focusing on giving feelings to characters. The second I logged onto the meeting I loved it! The kids were all so enthusiastic about writing. There was one girl there, Ruth, who was seven years old. She laid next to her cat the entire meeting. And even though she was laying down, she certainly was not lazy! She contributed her ideas on multiple occasions, and also encouraged other students to participate. In our big group meeting, we created a character for a story and decided where they would go, what they wore, etc. Once we broke up into smaller groups, we bounced ideas off of each other for characters in their own stories. I was actually able to facilitate a group, meaning I was “in charge” and helped the students come up with ideas. One of my students said her main character was going to be an iPhone 12, and another said his was going to be an armadillo. It was so much fun working with this group of young writers.

The group on Thursday followed the same format. We worked with 10 to 14 year olds. Their writers club is called “Writing a New World”, so we are focusing on imagination and utopias with them. These students were also enthusiastic about writing their stories. I am excited to work more closely with them next Thursday.

Our Theater Writers Club (which Ray and I will be leading all by ourselves!) is set to start next week. This will be a challenge, but super exciting!

3 thoughts on “Week Six: Working with Kids! Finally!”

1. Ataia Templeton

Hi Lilly,
    I’m so glad you are enjoying working with all these kids. Writing with them sounds amazing! I secretly wish I could have their imagination. Good luck with the Theatre Writer’s Club! I have a hunch that you both will be amazing.

2. Your project sounds like so much fun! It always amazes me how creative children can be, and these classes that you and Ray are leading sound like a great outlet for that. Good luck with the Theater Writers Club next week, I can’t wait to hear more about it!

3. Raymond Ugaz-Carhuavilca

It was definitely a great new experience that I’ve been through and I can’t wait to see what else happens this week as it’ll be one of the more challenging weeks we’ve had but I’m super excited for us to be working on this project together!