Week 7: Speaker that Stood out to me – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 7: Speaker that Stood out to me

One of the many, amazing speakers that stood out to me was Deandre Calvert. I am really interested in pursuing a career in public policy, and hoping to get my degree from the School of Public Policy. Lately, the subject of my thoughts have been wondering where I want to take my policy career. Do I want to go to law school? What do I want to practice? What kind of policy career do I want to embark on? I have come to realize, however, that my passions truly do lie in community: my past experiences have shaped the way I view and interact with the world around me. From my childhood, through adolescence, to now. Every major (and even miniscule) event in my life has led me to pursue an empathetic career in policy, focused on social, human rights, policy change.  I find that my passion lies in helping underserved, underrepresented communities find representation to combat socio/poli/economic stigmas that they may be familiar with.

In his presentation, Deandre talked about “being put on this Earth to serve”, and I really identified with that. Without giving, and giving back continuously, why are we here? Without giving back to the community that built us (although it may be a broken build), why are we here? I found many parallels between me and Deandre’s stories, and felt a personal connection to the way he spoke about his experience, life, and journey through policy. I was very thankful to have Deandre as a speaker.

1 thought on “Week 7: Speaker that Stood out to me”

1. Hey Yasmine! I’m glad for you that we had a speaker that related so closely to your field of study/passion. From what I understand, Noah is looking to transfer to Ford too (Noah if you see this correct me if I’m wrong lol). I also love that you’ve come to not only realize your passion but also how that will translate into your future. I’m currently trying to figure that out for myself now.