Week 9: Time Flies – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9: Time Flies

It is unreal to think that over a month ago was when I first started my internship. While my time at Hamtramck City Hall is not quite done yet, as my project still has two weeks to go, I cannot believe how quickly time flew by. Before I know it, we will all be back in Ann Arbor.

I remember writing my blog post and was honestly unsure what I expected to get out of running a summer youth program. However, it has only been nine weeks, but I have grown so much both personally and professionally. I have gained so much confidence in my ability to be in charge of a whole program. When I first started, I constantly ran into Maraโ€™s office to ask her questions and ask for permission when it came to planning the Summer Youth Program. While I still go to Mara for advice, I slowly accepted that this was my program to run and began taking the initiative without relying on getting feedback on every small project I planned. I am no longer afraid to make phone calls or cold email people. I know how to manage a large budget, and be flexible with plans. I am very much still learning as I work, and there is still more for me to learn as I continue working with Mara through UROP during the fall semester, but I could not be more grateful for the experience I have had so far this summer.

I am beyond thankful for everyone I have met this summer, and I hope for all of us to connect when we are back in Ann Arbor ๐Ÿ™‚

2 thoughts on “Week 9: Time Flies”

1. Yaaaaas – the process of leveling up to boss-mode!!! You’re definitely getting there Gabi! ๐Ÿ™‚

DCERP: Coming to You in 3D August 30th

2. Totally agree! I’ve definitely grown both personally and professionally, especially with those cold emails?. Good luck with the remaining two weeks of your project and in your continuing work with Mara!!