Week 9: Time Flies – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 9: Time Flies

It is unreal to think that over a month ago was when I first started my internship. While my time at Hamtramck City Hall is not quite done yet, as my project still has two weeks to go, I cannot believe how quickly time flew by. Before I know it, we will all be back in Ann Arbor.

I remember writing my blog post and was honestly unsure what I expected to get out of running a summer youth program. However, it has only been nine weeks, but I have grown so much both personally and professionally. I have gained so much confidence in my ability to be in charge of a whole program. When I first started, I constantly ran into Mara’s office to ask her questions and ask for permission when it came to planning the Summer Youth Program. While I still go to Mara for advice, I slowly accepted that this was my program to run and began taking the initiative without relying on getting feedback on every small project I planned. I am no longer afraid to make phone calls or cold email people. I know how to manage a large budget, and be flexible with plans. I am very much still learning as I work, and there is still more for me to learn as I continue working with Mara through UROP during the fall semester, but I could not be more grateful for the experience I have had so far this summer.

I am beyond thankful for everyone I have met this summer, and I hope for all of us to connect when we are back in Ann Arbor 🙂

2 thoughts on “Week 9: Time Flies”

1. Yaaaaas – the process of leveling up to boss-mode!!! You’re definitely getting there Gabi! 🙂

DCERP: Coming to You in 3D August 30th

2. Totally agree! I’ve definitely grown both personally and professionally, especially with those cold emails😀. Good luck with the remaining two weeks of your project and in your continuing work with Mara!!