Week 2: Fun Math, Not Michigan Math :) – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: Fun Math, Not Michigan Math :)

Hello Guys,

Just like I said in my elevator pitch:

“i’m working with Detroit Public Schools- Office of Homeless and Foster Care. We are collecting data on students’ attendance and living status in order to find interventions that can reduce the chronic absenteeism rate in Detroit schools. We provide services such as food, clothes, school supplies, and shelter referrals to these students. Right now I am working with the other staff members to create an annual report by collecting quantitative data on the resources we provide and how many people use the resources. I am entering data in excel and making calculations. This data is very important because it allows sponsors and donors to see the impact these services have on young youth facing home instability. It gives the youth a chance to prioritize school and not worry about essential needs such as food and clothes.”

Edisa Niyifasha

So far I had a calm start to this program but it was a little bit frustrating that I could not get started right away. I loved getting to meet everyone and hear about their awesome community work. I am unsure what learning group I am in or how are we going to establish our learning groups, so it would be helpful if we decided on this in our next meeting 🙂

-Edisa <3

2 thoughts on “Week 2: Fun Math, Not Michigan Math :)”

1. The program you’re doing is so cool, Edisa! I do hope that it picks up soon for you so that you can get the most out of your experience. I also hope that we can start our learning groups so that we are prepared for the showcase and can learn together.
    – Aminata

2. Hi Edisa! I’m sorry you’ve had a slow start this past week, I really hope it picks up soon! Your research project sounds very interesting and I think will definitely succeed.