Week 2: It’s so hot? – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 2: It’s so hot?

I’m researching with the Michigan State University Extension: Detroit Partnership for Food, Learning, and Innovation (DPFLI) this summer. This organization grows food in an urban garden and donates it to 2 food pantries in the Brightmoor area. Their most recent mission is to grow an edible food forest with 200 varieties of fruit and nuts that the surrounding community can come and harvest. Currently, I help maintain the site daily and report on the health of the plants. I really value this organization’s mission because lack of access to fresh healthy food is a huge problem in urban communities and can lead to health and wealth disparities. The DPFLI is trying to combat this problem by bringing food to the community and giving community members the chance to interact with their food.

Interacting with the other DCERP fellows has been really amazing, everyone is friendly and we’ve had some interesting discussions as a group. I’m excited to get to know each other better!

4 thoughts on “Week 2: It’s so hot?”

1. Hi!
    I love the work that you and DPFLI will be doing because I have a love for the environment and I would love to see people bring more green into the city, it will help many people. Also, I think that it is really cool that the food is being grown right here in the city, since as you said fresh food is not a common luxury urban communities have. So what you are doing is so important and I can’t wait to hear more about it! I am also excited to get to know you and more DCERP fellows!

2. Hey Olivia! DPFLI sounds amazing, and it seems like you’re doing some great hands-on work at your site, even on those hot days! I have to agree that a lack of access to fresh healthy foods is a very unique urban area problem, and especially in Detroit. I think it’s amazing that you get to see the direct actions of what DPFLI is doing for the community. I totally agree that our discussions as a group have been very interesting and engaging, I can’t wait to experience what else we’ll discuss as the weeks go by!

3. Hi Olivia !! I think your project is fascinating and it’s interesting to read about the effects of greenery in urban environments and how that plays an effect on wealth disparities. Having access to healthy, quality food is super important for development and health. I am excited to get to know you better, as well :))

4. Hey Olivia, your role sounds very interesting and requires a focused eye. Hope your enjoying yourself and can’t wait to hear more about it!