Hello! This week has been one of my favorites simply because I feel like I have really gotten in the groove of things. Film shooting days seem normal, listen and typing descriptions of transcripts from my supervisor verbatim is simple, and meeting someone new every day is no longer stressful. Thinking about it, we only have 3 weeks left which is disappointing but the fact we even have time left is still exciting.

I’ve met many of my supervisor’s friends in the area and have really gotten to dip my toes into networking, which she has strongly encouraged me to do and helps me do this a lot. I have meet many aunts and parents of people in fields that relate to my career of interest through my work with Dr. Perkins which I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect to do this summer.

I think the unexpected things that come with this opportunity are arguable some of the best parts. In my earlier posts I have talked about how having the opportunity to talk to so many community elders and hear there stories was something I enjoyed a lot and was another unexpected part of this summer. As we get closer to the end of this fellowship, I want more and more for our time to be just a little longer but instead of focusing on that I’m going to focus on the time I do have to enjoy these moments and surprises.

3 thoughts on “Week 6”

1. Claire Thomson

Hi Lauren! I’ve also found myself wishing that I could spend just a little bit longer at my site–I love your mindset of focusing on the present rather than dwelling on the future. I’m glad you’ve been able to do some networking and find a routine at your work site!

2. Hi Lauren! I am intrigued by the film that you and your non-profit are doing, it sounds so interesting to hear the stories of community members!

3. Hi Lauren, I think this is such a good point that instead of focusing too much on the future by focusing on the present we can enjoy the process more!