Hau’s Week 7: Chiwara Retreat! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Hau’s Week 7: Chiwara Retreat!

Image

Image

“I am on a vacation,” was my mentality as I traveled with my director, Nate, and my co-worker, Alan, to Beaver Island for a four-days company’s first ever retreat.  I felt honored and extremely grateful that they invited and allowed me to go on the first company’s retreat with them, even though I am only a summer UROP intern.  They both took me under their wings and took care of me extremely well.  They did all the hard work: they took turns driving the five-hours traveling route, made amazing food, and played amazing music.  They were extremely patience with me as they introduced American culture, permaculture, and Beaver Island to me.  They included me in everything that they do and they made me feel like I am traveling with my family and friends.  They are the best boss and co-worker ever!

Image

(They look better than this, but this is my paparazzi shot of them).

From my interactions with them, I am inspired to have a safe and positive working environment in my future career.  I love how I can communicate and have fun with my boss and co-worker.  They are always willing to help me and accept me for who I am.  They inspired me to desire for similar working environment when I entered the work force.

Other than my lovely conversations and time with Nate and Alan, I love Beaver Island.  Beaver Island is so beautiful and relaxing–it made me return back to the pure old, good personal communications.  On the island, there is no Internet or signal so I was completely off my phone, facebook, and emails.  I had more time to enjoy the beautiful Lake Michigan, the wonderful landscapes of Beaver Island, the interactions I have with Nate and Alan, and the time to personally reflect.  I am extremely thankful for the time I spent there and I would love to travel back there in the future.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

2 thoughts on “Hau’s Week 7: Chiwara Retreat!”

1. This looks so amazing! My organization was supposed to have a one day retreat but due to failed planning it was cancelled. It is great that you got the opportunity to bond with the people that you work with. Some of my best work days are when my supervisor and a co-worker get off track and talk about their different life experiences. I like learning about other people in the office and what they’ve gone through because it helps me to see them as just people instead of placing them on some pedestal.

2. I am super jealous, this looks so beautiful- i really need to get out and explore more of Michigan! It is great that you have learned so much from your co-workers about the type of environment that you want to work in! They seem like really great people