Week One – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week One

Dear Self,

I know you have had a pretty chill last few months, but it is now time for you to buckle down and complete this internship with a blast. Listen to everything your supervisor tells you and ask questions along the way. Read the materials as extensively as possible and write down notes. I know you’re getting adjusted to this schedule but just know that the long days will pay off at the end.

From this program, I want you to understand the licensing process in the City of Detroit and why it takes local business hopefuls so long to become an established business in the City. Put yourself in the shoes of these entrepreneurs and understand their stress and anxiety. Work your hardest to establish a plan to make this process easier for them and help the community at large. Appreciate and learn from the humbleness of your supervisors and co-workers. See what they are sacrificing to ensure that the constituents of Detroit are safe and sound. Also, learn the ropes on research and how to conduct it.

Give it your all. Do not give anyone a chance to complain. Do your work on time and complete as thoroughly as you can. Make FoodLab proud to have associated themselves with DBCRP.

You know you basically grew up in Detroit. Enjoy it and actually learn the streets this time while polishing your navigation skills. And always remember “You is smart. You is kind. You is important.” — The Help.

With Much Love,

Purabi

4 thoughts on “Week One”

1. The Green Garage itself has a lot to learn from too! I look forward to seeing you throughout the semester, since our organizations seem to have a lot of contact. I am curious to see what you guys will be working on throughout the summer

2. Purabi, your focus and dedication is apparent. I’m sure this will be a really interesting experience living in Detroit at Wayne State and as an intern. I totally get what you mean about trying to make the most of the city and seeing it from a different perspective. I went to school in Ann Arbor, but when I finally moved to the city to go to college, I really got to see an entirely different perspective of the town (but I had to make this happen myself). It’ll be interesting to see what you learn!

3. Purabi,
    your determination and dedication is inspiring!! Good luck and I look forward to hearing about how the following weeks turn out for you!