Week 1! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 1!

Dear Theresa,

Even though it feels odd to be writing a letter to yourself, here you are. So here goes!Displaying image3.JPG

image3

This first week has been nothing but hectic, but in the best kind of way. From meeting new people, to my roommates, to by boss and supervisor, to people in the community it has been a week chalk-full of socializing. I have somehow managed to get myself to work every morning thus far at 8 am with a huge mug of coffee in tow. Getting to know the garden and working with Niam and Bianca has been an incredible experience thus far, and I can’t wait to see what the next few weeks will bring if 3 days have already brought this much!

I am really looking forward to continuing to work at the farmer’s market each Thursday and hopefully building some regular rapport there and even eventually conducting interview about how they think about food and food resources that are available in their communities. Along those lines, I also look forward to meeting with people specifically in the Brightmoor area (where we are located) for our 2x weeks lunch and monthly potlucks. They will be able to add more insight on what Voices for Earth Justice can really do and how it can continue to grow. I am already learning so much from the people there, that it is crazy to think that only 3 days have gone by.

Thus far, I have had a great time in Detroit, though I haven’t really gotten the chance to explore much yet. I hope to have more time on the weekends for that, and I especially want to visit the John K. King book store at least once a week and get to know that place like the back of my hand. I also want to explore all of the architecture of the city. It is amazing to me the places like MGM Grand, the Cobo Center, and the Ren Cen can live right along side these beautiful Gothic style churches and buildings that could easily be mistaken for castles.  Along with the people, the artifacts of the city itself tell their own story. From the old rare books that have been sold, donated, or left, to the new Whole Foods right down the street. Setting and Material itself contain a lot of agency in how a city is shaped and how it is seen, so I sincerely wish to get to know that side of Detroit, along with the people who made it possible and continue to do so everyday.

image1

1 thought on “Week 1!”

1. Your job looks sooo cool. I don’t know anything about gardening, but it seems like an incredibly useful lifeskill that I should pick up sometime. Can’t wait to visit your farm sometime soon!