Week 3-Feeling the Pressure! – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 3-Feeling the Pressure!

As I have explain I am elbow deep in it. I got out for a while but felt weird without the comfort of it. It’s always been a big part of who I am and now it pulled me back. These past three weeks have been really eye opening for me  now that I am back in the D. Understanding that there are levels of different work being put into the community put you just gotta look to find them.

SDEV has shown me that there are people here, not just those that come to volunteer, not just those that are newly vested in Detroit, but actual citizens that care. Now this may seem weird right? But I grew up in the SW community thinking that we were all too busy to really put our sweat into the city. I was really wrong. People want to put back in, people want to clean up the empty lots near their homes and create parks, gardens, or just clean lots.

And I also love where I work! My boss is super chill and he gets that I am a human (ya feel me?). And my co-workers are so nice too (I was scared that after the first week the initial kindness might  have worn off but it did not! they are the bomb!) On Wednesdays I get to attend the free classes SDEV holds and get to have a great time! This week was self defense and it taught me a lot.

I am excited to keep on going!

20160615_180218

1 thought on “Week 3-Feeling the Pressure!”

1. I feel what you are saying about people from the actual city investing, it is really cool to see! I am glad that you are enjoying yourself!