Week #5 – Urban Gardens – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week #5 – Urban Gardens

https://www.metrotimes.com/detroit/why-detroits-urban-gardens-and-vacant-land-are-good-for-at-risk-bee-populations/Content?oid=4418287

The more I live in Detroit, the more I hear about the importance of urban farms. These farms are resolving the problems of the “food swamp” that Detroit currently dealing with. In this article, Murry describes the importance of these farms not only for sustainability, but also for bees. Today, Detroit is plagues with negative externalities: a poor sewage system, increasing gentrification, etc. However, it is encouraging to see the success of a growing trend in Detroit. The article describes bees are essential to to future growth of ecosystems and more urban farms.

Interestingly, urban farms are not the only source of bee success. Vacant property are a haven for growing bee population. This phenomenon reminded my of Emerson’s transcendentalist theory that nature always wins out over man. As human infrastructure continues to deteriorate, bee populations are growing bigger and bigger. This image is both sad and beautiful.

1 thought on “Week #5 – Urban Gardens”

1. Dominique Witten

I have never heard of Emerson;s theory so it is interesting to see how it applies to the city of Detroit