Well Damn.. – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Well Damn..

Basic summary of article: A man who wanted repairs to his bike The Hub of Detroit bike shop became irate and made many racial slurs toward a black employee. The Hub has been closed for two weeks because of this incident following the pending investigation.

______________________________________________________________________

If you know me then you know that I like bikes. If you know me then you know I love bikes. If you know me you know that my love for bikes has little to no correlation to why I chose this article. Normally I would beat around the bush with painted metaphors about how this article is rare but today and only today we will do this without a commercial break. This article is rare. Not in the fact that it is rare because for once the customer was not right. Not rare in the fact that a bike shop is closing for a while due to a racial slur. The rarity of this article stems from the fact that it was surprisingly not bad news.

While searching for an article to write about I saw a story about an electrician who fell 75 feet working on the bullshit my bad Little Caesars Arena. The second article I saw was about a woman who set her car on fire at a cemetery while her son was in the car. Because I am from Detroit I will not bring you more bad news about Detroit. Because I am from Detroit I will not bring you an inspiring story that will show you that even in Detroit good things happen. Instead I will show you that growing up in Detroit violence was desensitized by the news and not Grand Theft Auto. I will show you that this was amazing because no black boys were physically harmed in the making of this headline. I will show you that no black boy did harm in the making of this headline. I will show you that even when people do not physically harm the black boy, the black boy does no harm; he is still harmed.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/06/27/hub-detroit-bike-shop-closes-alleged-incident/103239078/

1 thought on “Well Damn..”

1. Calahna Camille Butler

I really enjoyed this article! It’s crazy because I wrote about something similar; about how Detroit always have negative articles in the news and how rare it is to find something positive about the city. I think we need more articles that bring light to the good in Detroit, so it can stop being negatively portrayed.