Week 8 – Detroit Community-Engaged Research Program

Week 8

I really enjoyed attending the Detroit Historical Museum for the 1967 Exhibit.  This is an event that I have often heard about in a passing way but never fully understood.  Some described it as a “race riot” while others put it in the context of being the cause of Detroit’s decline.  So many ideas about its impact but so few details.  I understood that it was important but didn’t actually know what it was or what truly happened.  This group event not only informed me of the 67 riot/revolt, but also of its context.  I now feel like I have a much better understanding of the history of Detroit and there are many parts of the city now that exist as a result of that event 50 years ago.

In reference to the event itself, I really appreciated the inclusion of interactive portions such as the TV/living room section.  This area of the exhibit really immersed us in the way an average American would be viewing this event and give us perspective on how the way biased news reporting can impact the perception of history.   Overall I found this to be a fantastic exhibit, with a great guide, that put important context on the history of the city and the communities we’re entering.

2 thoughts on “Week 8”

1. Oluwadamilola Zechariah Sado

The statement about developing a better understanding of Detroit through this experience is one I relate to. By seeing a different perspective on the event in 1967, I was able to develop my view on the event.

2. Kenneth Ray Washpon

Adam, I feel you on the impact of the event. I came out with a better perspective of Detroit. I also think the interactive parts of the tour were impressive and brung a sense of humanism to the event being that people often forget the normal lives people of Detriot lived prior to and after the revolt.